POSITION: Director of Finance & Administration
TERM: One year HOURS: 8am – 5pm daily
LOCATION: BHC Building, 3rd floor, Kacyiru, Kigali
REPORTS TO: Managing Director
ABOUT THE AEC FAMILY OF COMPANIES
African Entrepreneur Collective (AEC), is a collection of incubators and accelerators that seek to create jobs for youth through the development of private sector enterprise. In Rwanda, two companies are subsidiaries of AEC: Inkomoko Business Development, and AEC Rwanda Trustee. All of our services help clients develop and improve their capacity: we provide entrepreneurs with business assessment, training, strategy consulting, and access to affordable finance.
THE OPPORTUNITY & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Finance & Administration will be the lead manager of all back-end services for our growing company, supporting a team of 50+ staff to have the data and systems needed for management and growth. Reporting to the Managing Director, the Director of Finance & Administration will be responsible for the organization’s finance and admin and will oversee staff in each of these function areas.
Specific tasks include:
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT (70% time)
- Provide accurate and on-time monthly financial reports to Executive Management and Board of Directors
- Support Department leaders to review and approve organization expenses based on internal policies and budget
- Work with Executives on annual budgeting process
- Financial reporting to donors and funders
- Implement and uphold systems to minimize loss; provide analysis on areas for cost control improvement, cost savings
- Monthly review of transactions into the system for accuracy, advise on adjustments and approve monthly reports
- Work with HR department to ensure fairness
- Ensure compliance with various stakeholders financial and procurement procedures
- Implement financial controls and ensure organization policies are applied at all times
- Maintain and update accounting manuals, and ensure compliance from branch offices
- Supervise the Sr. Accounting Manager and Admin & Accounting Associate for client billing, petty cash, expense reporting, banking, etc.
- Ensure financial operations and systems are maintained with fidelity in relation to Organization policies and International standards
- Work as a partner with AEC Rwanda Trustee for overview of any client accounting information
- Oversee tax declaration preparation to ensure and compliance with the Revenue Authorities
- Be the lead staff during external audit, and implement audit recommendations
OPERATIONS (30% time)
- Serve as a Senior Manager, working with the Executive Team to implement organizational strategies regarding company operations, finance .
- Supervise the Admin & Accounting Associate to ensuring the physical office is running smoothly, including utilities, client reception, office supplies, cleaning, conference room coordination, etc.
- Manage contracts for company vendors, suppliers, lease agreements, etc.
- Lead projects that improve the organization’s systems (new accounting software implementation and potentially a new system for assets tracking and management)
- Maintain the organization asset register
- Manage organization fleet and other equipment
- Run a regular inventory of assets and equipment, advise on repair or replacement when needed
Successful candidates will be able to navigate fast-paced and resource-constrained environments with enthusiasm, patience, and imagination, and embody our values of being data-driven, solutions-oriented, and willing to put in the time and effort to reach exceptional outcomes. We prefer individuals who have previously taken on leadership and management responsibilities.
- CPA preferred
- Proven track record of management responsibilities in Finance, Operations/Admin
- Experience working in Rwanda with small and medium enterprises
- Self-starter, with proven ability to produce results within budget and time deadlines
- 5+ years of work experience in relevant or applicable field
- Must have own computer and cell phone
- Fluent in written and spoken English, French, and Kinyarwanda
- Undergraduate degree a must, in relevant field, and advanced certificates in finance/accounting or master’s in relevant subjects strongly preferred.